Sunday, October 4, 2009

One-Way Love

"What will you do if you are in a one-way love? A relationship that only one person can relate with--not the other one...in other words its unrequited love." This is the question asked to me by a young high school student I saw for counseling today. Such a million dollar question to be answered by a single (& loveless?)-counselor! Anyway, she expects me to put my thoughts in this blog--so as promised--i'm burning my eyebrow (its 11:45 PM) in writing this post. I believe I already published a related article about this problem but still, allow me to share some of the excerpts in that issue which I believe will help not only Beebs (name changed) but others who are in the same situation.

If your love is one-way, how about reflecting on these thoughts?
1. Honesty and Open-mindedness are big deal! Be willing to be honest with yourself. Opening yourself to the idea that the person you love is probably better off without you is painful but that's the reality. Truly, reality bites and when it does--it really sucks!If your beloved needed or wanted you he would probably have some desire to be with you and that desire would have already shown you enough reciprocation to stop you from trying to get over the love.


2. Don't be selfish. If being with this person would make you happy, but in reality, your presence makes your beloved unhappy, then you should prefer them to be with someone else. Love is about wanting what's best for the person you love, not what's best for you. This may seem a brutal advice--but girl, life is not only about gaining but it is also about losing! What matters most is how you cope with that loss!

3. Love can not be controlled and they can't force themselves to love you. You can't force anyone to love you either. What we should then prioritize is to MAKE OURSELVES MORE LOVABLE--not for the one who rejected you--but for yourself and for others who might take interests in you.


4. If you refuse to be with anyone else, then be alone. It's not so bad, contrary to what the movies and magazines will say. After a while you learn to deal with loneliness. Do not underestimate your ability to cope.

Finally---LOOK AT ALL THE WONDERFUL OPTIONS LIFE CAN OFFER! go out and open yourself to new people and new experiences. Dont die of desperation--It's expected that you feel hurt and depressed, but don't become a pathetic putz! Just LET GO and EXPLORE ways to cope. Instant gratification is great, but in this case you're just gonna have to let time do the healing.


I dont know if I made sense in this entry--but i hope the litle reflections above will be a tiny light for those who are in the same situation!

Just remember--HUWAG MATATAKOT MAGMAHAL! Never Stop Loving!

4 comments:

  1. thank you mam nette...
    I've never been this so enlightened.
    I was so inspired by this article i even post it on my facebook account...
    I hope its ok with you.
    Just really really love the article!
    Thank you once again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure--no problem! thanks for posting a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you mam nette?
    I would really love to drop by your office on one of the Saturdays...
    - Miss Christine (HCEC - Iriga)

    ReplyDelete
  4. its the first time i logged on bloggers site.. and i found urs. Your words in One-way love hit me.. bulls-eye. if iam not in the office, i probably cried.Right now... im trying hard not to. Been in a near 5yr relationship..long distance. I feel like its getting futile.It seems that its getting into one-way love..and its me who might just lose him. Ive been in pain.. to the point of getting sick. Iam now diagnosed with a growing lump inside me.. and sometimes i wish just to rest forever.... iam sooo tired... i dont know Y HE gives me all these pains....Ive been good all my life.. but look whats happening to me. I am sori but im really ..one of those in the brink of losing myself...nevertheless, i commend you on wat you do.Thank yo

    ReplyDelete